On Thursday, May 25, HSMAI Ohio met for a sales workshop with a focus on prospecting. Not only did our expert speaker Bob Anderson provide amazing tips, he also presented them in a way that was humorous and very memorable! Here are some key takeaways:
- If you invest 10 minutes each morning planning the day, you will save up to 1-2 hours of ineffectiveness.
- Face your fears and focus it! Use it as a fuel to be successful.
- Become a problem solver, not a product pusher.
- Be willing to relearn things that you already knew. If you want to keep growing, make sure to keep educating yourself. It’s not what you know, it’s what you do.
- Be open to ideas, concepts and processes that are new to you.
- Act! Convert knowledge into actions that will become habits.
- Get in early, be a resource, build the relationship.
- THINK DIFFERENT, sound different, influence and sell different.
- Find out what’s working, what can be tweaked or what is a waste of time.
- Learn how to look to the future and work backwards to fill the gap – some business may be more valuable than others based on the gap you fill.
- Don’t confuse prospecting with selling. Find, connect, qualify and close.
- Connect to the subconscious, emotional brain.
- Pain emotions (fear, worry and concern) are the most powerful. People will do more to avoid pain and decrease their stress and anxiety. If you can look inside the customers mindset, see what they could be worried about and provide a solution, this can make the deal.
- Find solutions to their problems and stresses.
- Learning how to connect with emotions and knowing the right questions to solve and reduce them is crucial.
- Don’t give up too soon! Make a 6-week plan and follow it. Have courageous patience.
- Don’t sound. like every other salesperson. Be unique in your messaging.
- Introduce with a natural tone and tempo. Talk to them like friends. Be yourself!
- Interrupt the pattern.
- Go with what others tell us first/what we do for others. Sounds less pushy.
- Define the problem and connect to the pain!
- Introduce your solution and the emotional results – promise to educate and provide knowledge.
- Proof source, examples of success!
- Call to action – slow it down.
Meet Bob Anderson:
Bob Anderson; President Star Performance
Bob is a Business Coach, a results-driven trainer, and a new business development consultant to the #hospitality industry and has been in business for over 25 years.
His unique approach to sales training through his Building the Sales Pipeline, 4-C Squared Sales Shop Program, Building the Culture of Service, and Reservations Sales Training systems are producing measurable and profitable results for his many customers.
A featured speaker whose entertaining and upbeat presentation style has earned him rave reviews from many hospitality organizations, Bob develops and implements all training programs for Star Performance, Inc.
Bob was awarded the honor of being selected as one of the Top 25 Extraordinary Minds in Hospitality Sales, Marketing, and Revenue Management by HSMAI in 2015, and is currently a member of the HSMAI Sales Advisory Board.
The International Hospitality Institute recently selected and awarded Bob as a Global Top 15 Trainer in Hospitality for 2021.
Bob has been married for over 35 years and has three wonderful children, two grandchildren, and one more on the way. He likes to read, work out and watch hockey…Go Minnesota Wild!!!!!